Dental professionals continue to be at the highest risk for musculoskeletal disorders (MSD) due to maintaining awkward prolonged positions and placing undue stress on their bodies. Frequently, the common areas discussed are related to the upper body. But in fact, the abnormal postures and seating positions can affect hips, legs and the feet/ankle, causing issues at work or play. This physical therapist-dental hygienist duo will provide important knowledge on common lower body injuries and disorders that the dental professional may encounter and more importantly, provide prevention strategies to keep you working pain-free!
- Provide full body anatomical overview
- Explain contributing factors of Musculoskeletal Disorders (MSD)
- Review common MSD and how they can affect other joints in the chain
- Discuss how posture affects the lower body
- Provide prevention and early intervention strategies for the dental professional
- Discuss dental instruments and dental equipment that may improve efficiency, enhance patient outcomes and assist with musculoskeletal health
Currently, Lancette works as a clinician in private practice, in the corporate world as a professional educator, as a public health dental hygienist and is a member of the Premier Dental Professional Speaker Bureau. Lancette also launched a nonprofit school based oral health program in rural communities in northern Nevada in 2016. In this current school year alone, her program may reach over 10,000 students ranging from age 4 to age 20. She has the opportunity to work independently and provide all dental hygiene services to underserved populations with her Public Health Endorsement. Her experience in dental hygiene education, leadership and clinical practice has enabled her to develop CE courses that are relevant for the entire dental team.